Animals testing

Since I was shopping for cosmetics a lot lately, I decided to take a look at which companies still test their stuff on animals and which don't. And I was shocked.

Here, you can find a list.

Basically, all big companies do it. Some claim not to, but still do it. Even The Body Shop has been taken over by bad guy L'Oreal and does it now.
I was using Nivea shampoo, Maybelline base make-up, Shiseido make-up, Neutrogena face wash... Looks like I have to find replacements for all of those. I know the products I am using now have already been tested, but I don't really wanna blow more money into those companies. If people stop buying their stuff, they may stop testing on animals.
But I am so used to my cosmetics... And which companies should I change to? It looks like nearly all of them do it.
Shiseido claims they're "working on alternative methods". Which means, "hey, if we still test on animals, not our fault, we're trying our best!" Bullshit. Kao is even filing for new animal testing patents. Kosé also does it.

Even Mars Candy? WTF?! And Nestlé???
Unilever does it, Yves Rocher does it. Everyone does it!

On the other hand, here is a list of brands that do not test on animals.
I'm glad at least Bonnebell is on there. It is written on the Lip Smackers that they were not tested on animals, but that doesn't mean that some of the ingredients weren't. Avon doesn't do it as well, which is a relief since we've been buying there for ages, starting from my Grandma.

Hm, I think I can change my shampoo to some other brand (the German drugstore dm has its own brand which is on the "good" list, and since Shiseido is listed as bad, but Kanebo isn't (which doesn't mean it's automatically good, either, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt), I'll stop Majolica and buy Lavshuca instead. Too bad. :( But what should I do about my base make-up? Maybelline was the only one that works on my skin so far. >_______<

What do you folks think about all this? Is animal testing an issue for you or not?

EDIT: Found another site that claims basically very big Japanese brand does test on animals. So much for my liking of Japanese stuff. -___-

EDIT 2: This site, however, claims that Nivea doesn't test on animals. I'm confused. When do those sites update their information? Where do they get them from? Was Nivea put in the "testing" list because its mother company tests?

Comments

  1. I'm also against animal testing as well... you might want to try www.caringconsumer.com. They seem to update their website quite often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Julia, I am a year later than you but I am jumping on the anti-animal wagon now too!

    Most Japanese and Korean brands (except Missha) test on animals, whether ingredients and/or finished products. I am so dismayed to hear that and I will not be purchasing any of the bad lister products! Which means I will have to stop buying my beloved SKII!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops I mean anti-animal testing! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, sorry to say but the last list of companies that test (available in the PETA site) mentions that Avon does tests on animals. And The Body Shop (even being owned by l'Oreal) is against animal cruelty/test/etc and does ... both stated on their website (http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/values/AgainstAnimalTesting.aspx) and in the PETA list of companies who DO NOT test on animals. There is a lot of misinformation in the web and it's difficult to trust opinions on sites... PETA's list seems to be the most reliable thing available (and for some, the only thing that PETA did right)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Green-tinted sunscreens - a comparison

Share: Do you have any skin allergies?

The quest for pale foundation - part 1: Maybelline Pure Make-up